View post (The free ride is over!(Internet News ))

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/03/2002 8:54 am
Well,if what you're saying is that nothing is for free per se,as in someone somewhere has to pay for whatever it costs to provide whatever is being provided,then there I'll agree with you.But my bottom line was,take e-mail for instance.How many people,who presently have free accounts(free as in they don't pay for the e-mail)would have these accounts if they had to pay?Another example;I'm sure very many people who visit this site one way or another use the tricks posted here.How many,on the other hand,pay for those online tution packages,whether you down load them,use them at the site they're at,or are sent over to you in,say,C.D format.In this second example,those who pay pay for content,the content here being guitar instruction,as opposed to flesh and blood teachers.
All I'm saying is that it's gonna be very hard to make people to pay for something they've been getting for free.And further,it's necesary to establish whether the said people would partake whatever yo want to now sell to them if it hadn't been free initially.I think it all depends with the content,coz even as there exists free tv networks,cable tv providers still make money.Think of the local tv network that airs in your area;would you start to pay if they decided that from now on,you'll have to pay?Maybe,if the content became as good as the content which you find worth payin for in cable.
It's just that the business models are different.