View post (Putting together a band)

View thread

JeremyRodriguez
JeremyRodriguez
03/02/2016 5:55 pm
I can definitely give you a list of advice of things to watch out for when building your band. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to put one together myself. It's been quite a struggle, but here goes my advice from my personal life:

1. This is assuming you are wanting to make a career out of music and your band. Make sure you really get to know other musicians the best you can. What is really their #1 goal in life? Do they give up on things easy? Do they actually love music so much that they're willing to do anything to make it the center of their work life?

Too many times I fell into that "anybody will do for now" mode, and it has only dug me deeper into a hole each time. When you are the only one in the band that is sure that you want to go full force with this, it creates all kinds of frustrations. Be picky with who you get. But remember, being picky also means investing a whole lot more time (and possibly money) to get out to the right places to find the right candidates.

2. Obviously, you have to make sure they're reliable. Any little tell tale sign of lack of reliance is a red flag. Trust me. This is something I'm way too familiar with.

3. Also be sure that you yourself are the type of musician that the musicians you truly want in your band are looking for. Building up self is the key thing. The kind of people you attract most will show you a lot about yourself. Scare away the ones you don't want, and only attract the ones suited best for YOU! (This advice is something that definitely gave me a swift kick in the rear, and something I'm still working on)

Of course, if you're not that serious about music, then none of this matters. I am assuming that you are dedicated since you are posting and asking about advice. Also, I'm sure by now you have something going since this post is quite old, but I wanted to put something just in case LOL.
14 Day Mini Course That Boosted My Alternate Picking by 30 BPM In Less Than a Week at NO COST at www.transformmusically.com

FREE Download of Forsake Me Not's debut single and annual VIP membership! Limited spots at www.forsakemenot.com