View post (Putting together a band)

View thread

mtatigian
mtatigian
06/17/2015 1:28 pm
You definitely want to find bandmates who are interested in the same music style. There are also a few websites that help musicians find each other. Bandmix comes to mind, also you may get lucky in the musicians section of craigslist.

The importance of a good singer can not be underestimated, they can make or break a band, and I believe talent trumps showmanship, though they both help.

For instance in the following video from the Faces, Ronnie Lane starts singing the first verse of the song and by all accounts is doing masterful job, the band sounds great and his singing is quite good. However.. once Rod Stewart takes the mic and starts singing you can instantly sense the difference between a good singer and a great one. To my ears there is no comparison. If you can find a singer with that touch of magic, you are indeed quite lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhoLkTyNkM

Now, assuming you are still in high school, I may be wrong, your choices of bandmates will be limited somewhat by age, and distance, but still be selective as much as possible.

Enjoy the Ride!

TAT