View post (Putting together a band)

View thread

gypsyblues73
Full Access
gypsyblues73
Full Access
03/27/2012 9:21 pm
Then make it you. But at the same time, you should keep your audience in mind. Is it going to be a lot of the same people who heard you do the 7-minute solo, or similar people who'll probably get a kick out of hearing the same kind of thing? Then throw in some of the types of licks that they loved the time before, but stay true to yourself. Like maybe 2 minutes of you doing a solo that's "you", with a minute of the shred stuff dispersed here and there, or a 2:30/30 second split. Or you could do a solo that slowly builds into the "flashy" stuff where it's almost like a wild crescendo at the end.
As far as the band, I second the frontman comments. The last singer I was in a band with was a great showman, and great singer as well. Pics from our first gig together, he had a "rock star" pose in every one of them, as he was singing. I don't think he even knew he was doing it. That band was put together from Craigslist. If you put an ad on there (and it is a great resource for finding musicians) make sure you stipulate what age and skill level you're at. You don't want a grizzled 40-year old pub veteran showing up to audition! Also, make sure you get along great with the singer and bassist. They should be laid-back and drama-free, as much as possible, or personality clashes will kill the band.