View post (At a loss)

View thread

etf
etf
02/16/2012 1:20 pm
Hi to all. I am new to Guitar Tricks so thought I would say Hello. My name is Lyn (male) I have been playing guitar for about 18 months or so (I have a Taylor 812ce acoustic guitar). Problem I have and I guess many of you at some point have had the same problem. I am self taught mainly from You Tube etc. As a result I try to learn songs I like and picked up bad habits from the very start. I joined GT to get back to a solid grounding as I am at a crossroads. I feel I am getting nowhere. I seem to be stuck in the same old place and never seem to improve. I see people who have been playing far less time and seem to be streets ahead of me. I am disabled so have plenty of time to practice. I normally spend an hour or so every day on the guitar far longer some days. So, please can you give me your feedback on where I am going wrong and what should I do to improve things? For a start one problem I have is I am 53. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I am to old to learn. My problem is I learn a song or a scale and within a day or so I forget it.
So fellow guitar players I welcome your advice and experience on this matter. Where do I start? I have a good grounding of chords and barre chords but I don't feel I am progressing. I hope that GT will be an inspiration for me and help kick start my playing to a new level. Any advice you have I would gladly welcome.

Thank you all for your time on this,
ETF