View post (Pick Weight)

View thread

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
12/13/2011 6:40 pm
I've looked this up a number of times over the years, when I was aiming for what I heard various heroes doing I'd try to find out what pic and string gauges they used and I always got varying information on just about everyone, I sometimes think guitarists just like winding people up by saying 'if that's what people say I use then it might as well be true.' Even an interview where someone reveals that information about their setup has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Which is why I advocate the trial-and-error approach.

My two cents in this one:

Electric: .9, .11, .16, .26, .36, 46. D'Addario's. Pick: Jim Dunlop USA Medium.

(That's the see-through purple ones in the UK, don't know if there's anything different elsewhere. Everyone seems to think a lot about the pick thickness, nobody talks about what the pic's made of, I notice. The ones I use are a plastic that feels nice to me. I've tried the same thickness with wood and with more abrasive types of plastic and neither do it for me. It's got to be this clear one.)

Acoustic: .13, .17, .26, .35, .45, .56 Pick: don't use one, the fingers are the tone I like best. If I want to play as if I'm using a pick I just shape my hand as if holding one and use the fingernail on my index finger.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'