View post (beginners)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/02/2000 7:59 am
Just remember that whatever level of playing you're at, we've all been there at the beginning & we know exactly what it feels like. When I first started I couldn't figure out chords and tuned my old kmart guitar to an open G. For a whole year the only 2 songs I could play were Smoke On The Water and Not Your Stepping Stone by the Monkees.
One day I was in a music store and picked up a Beatles songbook with chord charts, & figured 'this can't be that hard'...wrote the chords down on a little piece of paper and went home to try em. Suddenly everything just kinda clicked. From there I just ended up remembering the positions of most of the chords...then figured out what barre chords were & the basic 'rock' scale and started copying records.
I still hate everything I play...think I suck compared to 'real' theory type players, can't stand learning new songs...& hear guys like that ingwie guy & think..how the hell????
You're never fully satisfied cause it's a non-stop learning process & fer sure if you ever get that 'I'm the king of the world' feeling...some young hotshot who's 10 years younger than you will come out of the woodwork and totally blow you away.
How do ya get to GuitarTricks? Practice ...practice...practice...

Peace & Grooviness
schmange
wavelength@tvo.org

Tuesday, May 2, 2000
3:58:55 AM

[This message has been edited by schmange (edited 05-02-2000).]