View post (Bending)

View thread

gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
03/23/2012 8:41 pm
Originally Posted by: BrittanyL.O.After many long weeks of practice, I finally got Freebird down (or so I thought). I had been playing along with the performance at the end of the lesson and though it sounded pretty good. However when I played it for my mother, without listening to the song, it sucked. I've come to the conclusion that my bends are out of key. I tried to correct this problem by plugging my guitar into a tuner and practicing the bends over and over. Unfourtunally, my bends are still not great and I’ve come to realize that the smallest movement really makes a difference in the pitch. So my question is how should one go about learning to bend properly? Should I just keep trying with my tuner until I develop an ear for it? By any chance are there any tricks or tips I missed out on?

Maybe you can practice standard bends but make sure you do it like vibrato. Play the note, bend it up (be it half steps or full steps - do both and do it on different places) and then bring it back down to the exact starting position. Do that against a metronome to get it evenly.

Also pick an easy lick and make the rue that you have to end it off by using a bend and maybe even a bent note vibrato. This way you will aply this bending skills you have immediately improving it further and making the process fun.