View post (Help with pull-offs)

View thread

James.Erickson
James.Erickson
04/06/2012 3:25 pm
Originally Posted by: James SheasgreenI have found that using barring to do fast pull offs on multiple strings works well and that i get no noise from the strings underneath it. But this is because i use my fretting hand to mute the strings im not playing at all times when im playing lead. You can use the oalm of your thumb to do this. It makes for playing more accurately even with high speeds and gain.

Good job! That sounds like you know how to do the proper technique known as "thumb muting" which uses the thumb of the right hand, the little fingers of the right hand, and the index-finger-bar all to mute the appropriate strings. As you mentioned, this helps your playing be clean even with high gain at high speeds. :)

However, if you are having to mute the strings underneath the string that your are executing your pull-offs, then your pull-offs are being performed too drastically. It does not take a large down-sweep of the finger to execute pull-offs effectively. Just a quick snap of the finger will get the volume you need, and without activating the other strings. Hope that helps. I have been studying how to have monster legato for years, and so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

Regards,
James
www.jamesericksonmusic.com