View post (Help with pull-offs)

View thread

gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
03/23/2012 8:36 pm
Originally Posted by: amark16Hey guys,
I've been working on my lead technique lately as i want to build up speed and precision in my playing. Im having great difficulty getting the hang of pull offs. the internet is full of trills and simple exercises but the actual technique is killing me. I know you have to "pluck" the string with the pulling-off finger, no problems with that. my problem is that in many licks, especially when descending (on a pentatonic scale for example), i have no time placing both my fingers in time to perform the pull off, if you know what i mean. How do u suggest i tackle that?

I suggest you try that exact same lick but use only hammer on's even while descending. I know the problem is with pull off's but when one focus on doing only hammer on's while descending one really trains finger independence and precision like never before.

There is a You Tube legato video by a guy named Marshall Harrison, that will be very beneficial because he explains this hammer on thing I described.

I took it further and used that to build my legato technique to get the pull off's down etc.

Hope this helps :)