View post (Drug Abuse In Music)

View thread

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/03/2002 1:54 pm
Let me draw some background for you...
I live in the second biggest town in France, and I have been a pro musician for close to 3 years now... I haven't been gigging a lot in those 3 years, since I did all those studio sessions and teaching (private and in school).

But I missed gigging, so I decided to go back to one of the very few Pub in my town where there are jams, to maybe hook up with some guys and form a band...
And I had forgotten the kind of people you could find there. I met some guys who had had some kind of success but had split up because of the heroin addiction of their drummer and bassist... Pretty much everyone was smoking majijuana, and lots of people where too drunk to actually listen to the music (which by the way kind of sucked, because everyone was struggling only to stay on their feet)

Now this pub is in the part of the town where artists meet, and I guess pretty much everyone there had some income due to music, or painting, or dancing, or visual art... But seeing them actually destroying themselves from within just disgusted me, and I remembered it was the thing that made me stop gigging...

What do you think of all those substances? Do you think that you have to use them to be creative? Do you actually use them? Do you play better after a drink or a joint? Let's have this debate...