View post (Acoustic Amps verses Electric Guitar Amps)

View thread

Ed
Ed
02/26/2002 5:57 pm
Ok, I very new to this (already been to the beginner forum a couple of times already, geat help) and have purchased an Ovation acoustic/electric. In the next couple of months I'll probably be getting an amp for it (at least I'd like to have something in mind when my wife ask what I'd like for my birthday).

Anyway, I after looking up prices of Acoustic amps verses those for electric guitars and noticed a sizeable difference (at least for my pocket book)for the same power output. Can I purchase an amplifer for an electric guitar and just turn down the effects or even to my untrained ear will there be a noticable difference in sound. I am just looking at getting a 10 or 15 watt practice amp so I would like to keep the price around $150 the lower the better. I will buy seperate amps if you can really hear a difference.

I have read different forums, plus I have been told different stories from salesmen about what I should purchase. First off I'll never be playing anywhere except at house (no coffee shops or stadiums in my future). Any way, in a year or so I will probably purchase a pure electric guitar.

Thanks for advice in spending my wifes money wisely (At least I hope she sees it that a way).

Ed