View post (What IS the difference)

View thread

James8831
James8831
02/28/2002 10:28 am
Originally posted by educatedfilm
lol...
heh.. I know about differences in prices of material things like ceramic magnets(?)... what i dont understand, is why there is such a huge difference, the materials used as small... but You give a machine a decent design and it wins hands down everytime... then again the labour costs on winding a pick up must be astronomical compared to the material costs...

Ed. What i meant to say was that it's the combination of expertise in knowing which material to make the bobbin,polls,magnets, wire,potting and insulation from AND which kind of sound will result from that, ie which frequencies are emphasized vs the ouput, which is what you pay for.

BTW, I prefer hand wound [scatter] for singles and a lot of vintage Fender players would too........ of course it depends which machine you use :).

No "vintage rules" bs either - most of my gtrs are 1990s- i just like the clarity and singing tone of lower impedance coils.

Some people swear that plain wire UNDERwound (approx 6500@44/42 gau) is the best for a Tele bridge some would say
an overwound 12k plus beastie-- but both of those options will ,obviously, cost you more than stock.

Labour is approx 4mins winding X labour rate, for an F type single coil.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..