View post (What IS the difference)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/26/2002 10:46 pm
WOOD: The stuff starts from very very cheap (those Maple/ ply wood thingier), to stuff that is ridiculously expensive simply because the woods are either rare, or they're classed as endangered (so they dont cut them down)... and the companies know if your picky enough to want like Brazilain Rosewood, than your normal (i dont know what the normal type is called) rosewood, then your pretty serious, and willing to spend spend spend... so up and up and up goes the price...
I dont know why pickups range from like $14 to $150... Anyone explain this difference?
Oh, and if your guitar is handmade then you got to put on huge labour costs ... It takes around 40 hours to make a solid body electric (depending on the complexity)... So at minimum wage that's gonna be a big number (more than $99)...Now these lutheirs aren't gonna charge you than less that £7 per hour... do you see? Oh, and back to wood again, some woods are bastids to work with, so you want to decent lutheir, who'll charge you and arse and a leg...
In general, I can see why guitars go up to $2000, but anything above that, it's either a collectors item, or your paying too much for the label, or it's very rare...