View post (F Major - Finger Placement Difficulty)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/09/2013 2:36 am
For those interested in strategies aimed at overcoming the dreaded F chord, please check out this thread! :)

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35576
Originally Posted by: Ben PumpinerI like the lessons, but I have a question. You teach us to read tabs with fretting fingers 1,2,3,4, but the pictures of the chords in the lessons have the "P" for pinky, "I" for index finger, etc. Why do you make us do the translation?[/quote]
The numbers on tab refer to the frets, not the finger used. In order to show the passage of time we need tab to show numbers. That's why there is a separate fretboard image with the I, M, R, P to show finger placement. But a fretboard image is necessarily frozen in time. Works for a chord, but not for a piece of music in which you move your fingers or use a different fret on the same string.
[QUOTE=Ben Pumpiner] Does some tab music come with the I, M, R, P system?

Not in any standard form I've seen. But maybe it should! :) For example, placing the finger letter under the tab note. I'll keep this idea in mind for future revisions. Thanks! It sounds like you've found a workaround for now that works for you.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory