View post (Musicians stealing songs. What are your thoughts?)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/23/2011 11:36 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801
What about bands starting up now that are stealing songs? Do we give them the same leniency as Zep because they could "potentially" be big later? What if that same band, 20 years from now is HUGE and became the next big thing? Would be easier to look the other way then and justify it, but the fact still remains that the song was created and taken when the band wasn't big.

I don't think it is leniency. I think it was a little different back then. I think overall, we are more sophisticated today in the same sense the average grade schooler is (I would freaking hope) way more savvy than a counterpart from the 60's. I expect a) It was a blanket copywrite. b) the band probably wasn't even acutely aware of it. If at all. Seriously, have you read Hammer of the Gods? They don't seem to me dudes who - back then - were reading much of the fine print. :)

Today, imo, the average person has more savvy because music/musicians are just more prevalent than it was. Starter packs, overseas production, the PC, and lots of competition has made making music accessible to millions more than it was. As a result, there's more communication and awareness about the industry. Most people these days have immediate access to find out anything they need to, legal or otherwise. Community groups, forums, Wiki's, online guitar lessons.... These and other things have changed the social landscape of musical awareness.

Keep in mind, these were old, old songs known and played publicly for decades. I mean, I don't care how high they were, they can't have realistically been trying to steal songs right in front of everyone's eyes, right? It makes no sense that an overt theft like that would get past so many moral and legal gates. And like Judge Judy says, 'if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true'.

Lawsuits picked up a lot of speed since the 60's. If there were not circumstances making this speculation of theft untrue, how do they still have a pot left to pee in?

Has anyone ever read any actual quotes from any member of Led Zep regarding this?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.