View post (Rock Prodigy,, anyone tried the full version?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/05/2011 11:25 pm
Interesting. It seems a lot like Guitar Hero, but with a real guitar. Its hard to tell, but it seems like the software keeps the original guitar track recording going as long as it "hears" that you're playing the right requested notes on your guitar. I'm a little skeptical though as to whether or not time spent "playing" with the software would really lead to developing good technique efficiently. Guess someone needs to try it and find out!

On a side note, slick website followed up with crap video.. really? An impromptu interview with a haphazard overview of the software & bad audio is the best they could come up with? Maybe its just me, but I'd like to see a little more effort & clarity in the marketing..

Update: I tried the free version too.. if you've got an acoustic and an i-Phone it works well as far as picking up the guitar notes. It is exactly like Guitar Hero as far as I can tell.. kind of fun in a way, but it also indirectly encourages you to blunder through as best you can, and then try again to "improve your score". I was always taught that the fastest way to learn something on guitar is to practice at a speed where you make few, if any mistakes, and then speed up only when you can do so & still play correctly. Still, I'm curious too.. I tried to check out what the upgrade costs, but it said it was currently unavailable. I certainly wouldn't trade this app for one of Lisa's or Christopher's lessons, but would be really interested to hear from anyone who feels they're getting somewhere with it.