View post (“The Hanky Panky" - Tommy James and The Shondells:)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/29/2013 7:25 pm
"...the album 'Crimson And Clover' contained liner notes by famously conservative Presidential candidate Herbert Hoover..."

Hey...I know...this frackin' thread is three years old. But Rock & Roll history is important, otherwise, we wouldn't have this and other excellent threads in this forum. However...

Herbert Hoover, the President that oversaw the 1929 stock crash, was dead for over four years when the
"Crimson & Clover" album came out. When I looked up the subject, I found Hubert Humphrey, VP and famously liberal Presidential candidate, wrote the album's liner notes (which makes a whole lot more sense ;)).

Thanks, hunter60, for the memory lane trip. I vicariously lived through the release, fade, re-release and 'new' hit of "Hanky Panky" through AM radio of the time and it's one of my favorite R&R stories. In fact, that's why I stopped to read your post while I was searching for something else.

Keep 'em coming!
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins