View post (How to "adjust" an Electric Guitar/amp)

View thread

samata
samata
09/14/2010 5:33 pm
Well, I don't really mean "adjust" it, but I can't think of a better adjective, and I know "set up" has a different meaning....

I recently bought my first Electric guitar and a very basic amp with no effects...
However, I'm finding that I'm a bit lost on how to set it for playing. The guitar has 2 pickups and volume and tone controls for each one. And a 3-way switch for each pickup or both. Then, the amp has volume, preamp and tone controls. Between all of that, I'm finding that there are too many combinations to figure out.

Is there some basic "rule" that would get started?? Such as "turn the volume all the way up on the guitar and adjust the amp volume"....or "max the eq settings on the amp, and adjust tone on the guitar"....or "set them even on both pickups, select one, and adjust xyz, then switch to the other and xyz...." etc
I know some is going to be personal preference, or what I'm playing, but I'm not sure where to start. Is there by chance a video on that here that I just can't find?

Thanks!
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept