View post (Who do you think the best guitarist is / was?)

View thread

Jarsew
Jarsew
09/05/2010 2:49 am
Originally Posted by: KerryInHollandThis reminds me a lot of Queensrÿche. It also reminds me somewhat of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Nice. Thanks for this.[/QUOTE]Yup, hes a huge King Crimson fan.

[QUOTE=KerryInHolland]I'm not familiar with this artist. Must Google now. This thread is opening my ears to some new stuff. Thanks, all.

*Just* read about him. Replacement for Vai in DLR's band. Ok. Cool. I saw DLR w/ Vai back in the 80s but hadn't heard of Becker. I think maybe because the Guitar World became saturated with these style of guitarists. No offense. Or maybe I just wasn't aware enough at the time. I think DLR started to decline in popularity after Becker joined.
How far did you read exactly? He was diagnosed with Lou Gehrigs disease, and was able to only record one album with DLR, and was barely able to finish. I guess my point is that its probably more accurate to say DLR started to decline in popularity once Vai left.

Also, Jason Becker in my opinion wasnt necessarily your typical radio-hit-songwriter, that wasnt his style. But simply a virtuoso, a shredder. Being extremely technical is a different talent then being able to write hit songs. So my second point is that you need to judge him based on his Perpetual Burn album, where he is 100% himself and not trying to write radio crap.

Here is one song off that album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtjOe5e9VFA

Here is another off the same album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFoSbjXB68

For me, he is the only shredder that I can actually listen to in awe anymore. I get bored easily with most shredders. It seems as if theres much more emotion in his stuff than what most shredders write, but of course thats my own personal reaction, a very subjective... subject :D

Also, his writing arrangements are incredible. He flows very well from beginning of the song til the end. You can almost imagine a storyline; such as an intro, a build up, a climax, outro, etc. I think thats pretty talented since most of his stuff isnt a standard song format such as verses/choruses. Not to mention he was 18 when he wrote the album...