View post (The Paul)

View thread

Dave How
Dave How
02/16/2002 11:36 pm
Nice to hear someone else has got a "The Paul", I've got one and never come across another one!

I bought mine second hand about 12 years ago. I tracked the serial number through Gibson's web site and discovered it was made in 1974. It's a little different to the one in your photo though.

First of all its a plain wood finish, quite a dark wood, no idea what exactly. The face is flat with just a little contouring on the top edge back and front. The pickup selector is behind and slightly below the tailpiece. Like yours it has twin humbucker pickups.

What I didn't find out, until I had to have the bridge pickup changed, was that the volume controls are push/pull switches and that the coils are tapped, is that the same on yours?

It has a lovely sound and a very nice action and feel but to be honest I tend to play my Strat more. I've been playing in a theatre band recently and used the Strat for the first couple of shows and then, on a whim, decided to give the Gibbo an airing. At the end of the show both cast and backstage crew made it quite clear that the Gibson had the sound they preferred so I guess I'll be using it more often.