View post (JOAN JETT Part 1)

View thread

bburba
bburba
08/03/2010 9:25 pm
As usual, a very interesting article. Still if I read the trades correctly only around 12% of what passes as rock radio today has female vocalists. Seems it is still a novelty of sorts, no offense to Amy Lee of Evanescence whose songs probably constitute the majority of this number. I look at the album sales and radio play and find rock well down the list behind country, hip hop and for Gods sake High School Musical. How sad. I think a large part of it is due to the fact that 51% of the population is not encouraged to play rock. I just saw Val Halla with Ted Nugent in Nashville, the female lead singer played guitar and in my opinion there was more interest in watching their warmup performance than there would have been from watching four guys from Jersey on stage headbanging, but maybe that in itself is sexist. I guess like your article mentioned, the undercurrent of rock'n'roll is sexual, and even in 2010 that is socially unacceptable somehow. How is that possible when there are shows like "Sex in the City" that glorify it? Oh well, back to my song writing and chords. I have a new one about this groupie on the tour bus who empowered herself with everyone. Late.