View post (Can't get intonation right)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/28/2010 11:51 pm
Well, I finished up a guitar tonight and had to intonate it. I decided to do at least a partial analysis. I recorded what my tuner was displaying at open, 12th fretted and 12th harmonic at each step. I still tuned open to 12th fretted, but I wanted to see what the harmonic was doing along the way.

What I found was the 12th harmonic is basically 2 cents flat until I get to the B & treble E strings, then it's right on. Therefore, if I intonated to the harmonic, most of my fretted notes would tend on the sharp side.

Maybe that's a more accurate way to have it, I don't know. :p I think I'll have to chart all the fretted notes on each string using both methods and see which, over all, gives me more accurate pitches. (However, given Hunter1801's leading post, I might be ready to postulate a theory on results!)

One thing I did find (as anyone might tuning) is the harmonic note is more stable on the tuner dial. I was using a Seiko tuner I keep out in the workshop, but it usually doesn't waver much.

So, its still inconclusive, but at least it's sort of a control point. And I guess I did half an experiment and made a useless post about it. :embarassed:

I happened to be talking to my Dad earlier, though and he was partial to the harmonic method and wasn't really buying what I was selling. (He is still gigging after almost 70 years.) Therefore I can make one more conclusion: even in the family there can be differing opinions on the method.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.