View post (Losing students again in summer time, what to do??? Please help.)

View thread

ttilic
ttilic
07/01/2010 10:00 pm
Hi to all,

I've been teaching for 3 years now and I generally have done ok so far, but this year it seems to be a nightmare moneywise.

I paid a big tax bill in April and again 2 weeks ago, so my bank account is low and on top of that, I had 8 out of my total of 31 students tell me that they will be busy this summer with other activities so they want to 'maybe continue' in September. All of this just happened over the last 2 weeks! That's a big hit financially that couldn't have come at a worse time. I usually have some people drop off during the summer, but never so many all at once, and it's just the start of July!

Seems like summer is always a hopelessly slow time. For guitar teachers here, what do you do to minimize the income losses during this time of the year?
I really need to find some way to fill my roster of students back up ASAP.

I put up ads in some places around town locally but the students I get from that are pretty few and far between. I offer a free lesson in my flyers and sometimes I get people who come to take it and then never hear from them again. I'm also on several of the teacher directories (a couple of which I even paid money for), but they got me only 1 student in 3 years.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and appreciated..thanks!