View post (Scalloped frets?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2010 6:01 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboWould one's perception of the action on a scalloped fretboard be that it is high?[/quote]
Obviously that would vary by individual. But I could see how some might think of it that way. I've been used to it for years, so I don't.

I remember learning to play on it, too! And I did not think of it as higher action. I do remember thinking it was like walking on a tightrope. But it immediately made me more accurate & consider how much pressure I was using.
Originally Posted by: Razbo
With the jumbo frets, I barely brush the fingerboard when the note is fretted, so I'm thinking scalloped might feel similar.

My red strat has jumbos. Even being able to barely brush the fretboard is quite a bit different (at least in my estimation) than totally scalloped.

The other thing that has a big effect on how it physically feels is the missing wood on both edges of the neck. That takes some getting used to also.
[QUOTE=Razbo]I was reading some postings on a board a while ago where someone had experimented with the perception of stiff action. There was no true reconciliation between perceived bendability vs. the actual tensile resistance.

Interesting stuff!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory