View post (Heavy Handed)

View thread

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
04/30/2010 8:19 pm
Always people say to me that I strum too hard and that I should let the amplifier do the work. Or that I fret the strings too heavily and alter the note. How do I stop playing the guitar in this heavy-handed way?

Years ago I remember learning the open F Chord on my nylon strung classical guitar and the only way I could get it to ring cleanly was to grip the neck like mad and sort of force the notes out - ouch. When I got my first electric last year and really started learning I just naturally played it in the same sort of way although I try not to choke it :(

Maybe it's just my natural intense nature and maybe I'll never be able to change but I hope not! I've always held my pen tightly when I write - I remember when I sat exams way back when I was a kid and that after a 2 hour exam the 2nd finger on my right hand had a great dent in it and was quite sore!

When playing guitar I try to have sessions where I focus on the lighter touch when I play but I always seem to revert to type in the long run especially if I get some dud notes from fretting too lightly. Maybe I'll always be a Henry Rollins type of player :eek:

I'm at the stage where I want to add feel and emotion to my playing and this is hard when I play like this.

Anyone else had this tendency and found a cure and could help get me on track?

Cheers
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]