View post (Pick up selector switch)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/30/2010 12:45 am
Originally Posted by: Grambo... there were no seperate terminals for the two tone controls - so the only way I could wire it was to have both the tone controls active all the time - which is not right ...

I'm confused about this. For one thing, I don't know how the controls on your guitar are laid out. With separate Volume & Tone controls for each pickup, like on a Les Paul, each pickup is connected to its Volume pot; the output of the Volume pot is connected to the Tone pot, and from there to the pickup selector. The output of the pickup selector goes to the jack.

If each pickup has a Tone control, but there is only one (Master) Volume control, the pups will be connected to their Tone pots and the pickup selector switch. The output of the selector switch goes to the Master Volume pot. There would not be a special terminal on the switch for the Tone pots, because each of them is always connected to their associated pickup. They will only interact with each other when both pickups are selected.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons