View post (Beautiful girls don't play the guitar)

View thread

01/31/2002 5:20 pm
Originally posted by Led Zeppelin
Originally posted by James
I want to know how Steve Vai had any sort of life at all with his supposed 10 a day practice routines. Didn't young Stevie go to school or anything?

I think his exact words were:

"Girls were just a distraction to me. I didnt see the point in spending hours coming on to them when I could just whack it off in a minute and get back to my guitar"

So thats where all his picking stamina comes from. :)

This guy is either has the self-awareness of a buddhist monk, or he's just plain messed up. At what point do you Throw away life experiences for this instrument? Is it possible to be too in love with the guitar? It paid off for him... he has mastered the instrument and now tours the world and from what I hear is more then making up for never having girlfriends when he was a kid.
But what about those who aren't that lucky who waste the one life they have practicing scales?

I'm just thinking out loud here. As the pressures of life begin to conflict with the guitar for myself, I begin to ask myself how much of my life I want to devote to this.

What it comes down to is this: you only live once. That's it. You have maybe 80 years (if you're lucky) in which to experience the world- and the first ten and last ten are probably just a daze. So do you try and experience as rich a life as possible or utterly devote yourself to something? ... dunno.