View post (Online lessons or Real Live teacher?)

View thread

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
03/11/2010 4:47 pm
Originally Posted by: SlickStringHaving said what I said earlier I got to thinking and I'm off to start some one to one lessons tomorrow! I'm hoping I'll get something different from it.
It seems pretty informal, a tenner weekly for half an hour and it's in the shop itself in the middle of the afternoon! Rock & Roll :D

OK so I had my lesson today. I'm curious to know if my experience is unusual or typical. I'll try to keep it short :)

The geezer who delivered the lesson was in his 50's (like me). We were in the shop among all the other goings on. I'd said that I'd been learning online via GT, to which he rolled his eyes (I'm half way through Rock primer 2 which of course meant nothing to him).
In the spirit of starting from scratch, I suppose, he then showed me a sheet with the C Major scale using open strings and the related chords. I rattled them off and he said next week he'd show me the sheet for the G Major scale. I sort of made sounds to suggest I already knew the basics and showed him my barre chords and scales at which point he went into 7ths which I haven't covered yet but which seemed to demontrate to him that I didn't know all the stuff I should know.
In a nutshell he just wanted to follow his own agenda and rubbish my online and book learning saying "you have to know all these things not just copying riffs.
I said I'd just started doing hammer-on's/pull-offs and vibrato and bends and wanted some pointers really not to go back to the beginning again and he sort of got my point but still seems to want to follow his own path with me.

I knew there'd be some sort of initial "tug of war" to establish where I am and where he can start from but I'm a bit unsure how we got on today and am wondering about next week and beyond! :confused:

This being such a great site and forum I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks about my experience. If any GT instructors want to chip in that would be much appreciated also.

Cheers

Jim
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]