View post (Underrated AND Overrated guitarists)

View thread

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/03/2006 9:39 am
Bumping up the ol' chestnut again. :D

UNDERRATED:

-Robbie Krieger from The Doors (genius with a capital G. One of the most distinctive rock players of the sixties, who unfortunately doesn't receive enough recognition)
-Curtis Mayfield (one of the most surprising rhythm guitarists I've ever listened to)
-Albert King (not only could he play mean lead guitar, but he had an amazing singing voice)
-George Benson (he mainly capitalises on his strength as a singer-songwriter, but he could easily outshine the likes of Al Dimeola and John Scofield as a full-time lead guitarist)
-Robert Fripp (far ahead of his time in his manipulation of effects, and also quite a good soloist)
-John Petrucci (I know! I KNOW I said he has overrated last time, but I've had a turnaround! I've listened to "Images and Words" and "Metropolis part 2", and I think he's so much better than the likes of Michael Romeo and Steve Vai, it's ridiculous. I still prefer Queensryche to Dream Theatre, though! :p )

OVERRATED
-Pat Metheny (yawn!)
-Ted Nugent (Johnny Weismuller could dress in a fur toga and prance around like a loon; does that mean that he was a good guitarist?)
-Michael Angelo Batio (if I wanted to listen to a series of intricately arranged but utterly tuneless blipping noises, I'd listen to my mobile phone ringtone)
-Steve Vai (technically amazing, but compositionally, his musical muses are eclipsed by his ego)
-Dan Jacobs from Atreyu (if I tune down, pick three or four power chords, and strum them aggressively, can I have a signature model as well?)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>