View post (Underrated AND Overrated guitarists)

View thread

Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
11/02/2005 11:09 pm
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusoverrated: steve vai. though talented, his songs don't represent his true experience working with frank zappa and taking lessons from satch. mediocre shredder, mediocre song writers.

underrated: kendal jones. i bet none of your mofos have even heard of him! he was shredding it up with fishbone and is responsible for not only some of the best solos ever heard out of fishbone but also some of the best lyrics and music heard out of fishbone.

How can you say Vai is overrated? He pushes the boundaries of guitar playing with every album and can make some of the weirdest sounds with a trem bar around. The man can play fast and tastefully, and is in no way overrated. And for reference, he didn't "take lessons" from Satch. Satch introduced him and got him started playing guitar, as they lived in the same neighborhood.

Just because Vai is one of the most famous players doesn't make him overrated. There's a reason he is famous, because people like his music.

Overrated: Hammet. No explanation necessary.

Underrated: There's a lot. But in my book Shawn Lane. Amazing player and died way before his prime. His legato runs are just amazing. RIP Shawn!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.