View post (Recommended Mic)

View thread

C. Terry
C. Terry
04/07/2010 7:58 am
Yeah the Shure sm57 is a good mic and a versatile microphone but maybe
after what 50 years? there have been some new microphone options in the same price range. I am the owner of Sound Moves a mobile recording studio out of Charleston, SC and I now have close to 40 mics and a very versatile collection for practically every situation. Today you can purchase a cheap USB connector with 1 to 2 channels for under of near a hundred bucks if you're on a very tight budget. And with one of these your mic alternatives will increase dramatically. Check out the new offers from tried and true ART, Alesis or even moving up a bit to PreSonus. But as for guitar microphones I'd suggest looking into an Audix i5 (very versatile and tough) or a Sennheiser product. Sennheiser is a division of Neumann. Need I say more? Their e835, which they call strictly a vocal mic is useful for many applications. Or get what I refer to as the PINK FLOYD SPECIAL Sennheiser e609(the band used them for everything ie. check-out Live From Pompeii). The e609 has been reissued for expressed use with guitar amps. The e609 has the advantage of being flat shaped so you can drape it over your amp and therefore don't need a mic stand. Or what the hell buy a sm57 or the beta57Shure. A sure thing for sure but perhaps consider robbing your mama for $400 and get a Shure 81 which will make your whole band happy unless momma finds out her money has
been snatched and you're all kicked out of her garage! Do prison bands have access to microphones?