View post (Recommended Mic)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2010 7:12 pm
I would recommend the SM57. Neil is right. That is for many purposes the industry standard and you will see it in both professional and home studios alike. Honestly, the mic is only part of it. Something that I overlooked for a long time but have now been able to use is a nice pre-amp. The pre-amp is really, really key in recording. I use Logic 9. I recently produced an EP for an artist, and recorded all my electric guitar parts straight into the pre-amp, to the interface, and than into Logic. Logic 9 now has a ton of guitar amp software. I mainly get the sounds direct from my pedals (simple delay, distortion, etc.) Than, it goes into the pre-amp and so on. You can hear those sounds at the link below;

Jenna Ryin EP - Produced by Douglas Showalter

Moving on, I highly recommend the 57 and a pre-amp. If you aren't able to get a pre-amp, try just the 57 but I would stick with your POD as opposed to from mic into interface. You might get a good sound, but the pre-amp really, really makes a difference. I use the pre-amp below:

Universal Audio Solo 610

Something else you might try. Which POD do you use? I know on the POD we use for Guitar Tricks has an XLR in and out. You might try micing your amp through that and using the POD as your pre-amp into your interface. Not sure how great that would sound, but it's worth a shot.

Honestly, home recording is a trial and error process. You would be amazed the sounds people get with very little to no equipment. A good set of ears can make a home recording sound great. A bad set of ears can make a million dollar recording sound like crap! And trust me, it happens every day. Use your ears and do what sounds best. You want to experiment and try different stuff, but ultimately it is about what gets you to the best possible result. If that is the POD, stick to that. Have fun and let me know if you have any more questions. I do home recording every single day and feel I have been able to make due with very little equipment and make some good noises (at least I think.)
:D
Douglas Showalter