View post (Teaching A Beginner)

View thread

Philtho
Philtho
02/22/2010 9:58 pm
I didn't take the fundamental course on here yet, because I've been working through a lot of various books, dvds, and such for the past few months as a new beginner and I just happened to stumble onto here the past week. But learning chords alone took me a few days to just get one of them down properly, let alone keeping the shape in memory. It was really, really frustrating thinking my fingers were all wrong for it. But its just practice. One morning I woke up, played the C chord without muting anything, and without much effort and it put a big smile on my face. The night before I was ready to give up.

After I got C and G down, the others came much easier. I still can't really change them very fast even after two months. Probably because I'm not putting much effort into learning songs yet, I've been doing nothing but practice and theory. I was totally new as of 12/25/2009 with nothing but a few weeks playing the flute back in 6th grade nearly 25 years ago.

I don't know if this is typical, but that is how it was for me. Few days to get a chord, another week to learn a few more.