View post (Amp Tones, Amp Knobs and Effects Pedals...)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/30/2010 3:38 am
I know little about amps, but I will give you my 2 cents anyway...

Originally Posted by: RickBlacker
==== 1 =====
If you take two equilivent tube amps, say 50watts, pushing a 2x12 cab. And you know you're going to be thowing pedals in front of it (or in an effects loop) does it really matter which amp you buy? Afterall, you're GOING to color the tone anyway.
[/quote]

It definitely does. Do any of your amps or pedals have amp modeling?

Originally Posted by: RickBlacker
==== 2 =====
If you're going to be using a distortion pedal anyway, do you REALLY need an amp that has a dirty channel? I had a peavy valveking 100w half-stack, I played through the dirty channel with my distortion. I didn't care for it.
[/quote]

There's a time & place for everything imo. :)

[QUOTE=RickBlacker]
==== 3 =====
Again, if you're using all your pedals, does it REALLY make much difference if an amp even has tone controls?

It sort of doesn't. I generally keep the amp settings static, however when switching guitars, I can get a quick adjustment to compensate for difference without messing with my pedals.

[QUOTE=RickBlacker]
And my assumptions, even if they are nieve, are that you could get away with a very simplistic design and still have one hell of a whooper that sounded outstanding without all the bells and whistles.

Thoughts?

Definitely agree! My thoughts on the matter do not contradict your assumption one bit! :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.