View post (how to work with a bassist)

View thread

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/12/2010 4:52 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegel
1. Make up an extremely simple riff in A harmonic minor. Even just an A note pumped in even 1/8th notes. That way you can practice playing the scale over his bass line.[/quote]
And I have thought about this. It's my own fear of his reaction that I've not suggested it. He's a bit of a proud soul if you will and I think he would scoff at something so simple. But, if I don't suggest and at least try it with him, I'll never know.

Originally Posted by: CSchlegel
2. Make up a slightly more interesting bass line (or a whole song!). Write it out in GuitarPro on a bass tab line. Give him an audio & a print copy. See if he can learn. Teach it to him. Then play your guitar part once he does.
[/quote]
Had not thought about that. He has asked me to tab out some of the things I've done so he can try to match something up. I've not done it, not because I don't want to persay, rather it's time consuming and I find that if I have time for guitar, I'd rather be playing, rather than tabbing things out. None the less, this is a great idea..

[QUOTE=CSchlegel]If you are going to have to teach him totally by rote, "Put your finger here, play this rhythm (play example on guitar or GuitarPro file), etc.", then you might as well teach him to play something you enjoy.
Thats actually quite funny and holds truth at the same time.

[QUOTE=CSchlegel]Alternately, you could have him learn some Dokken songs. :)

Uh huh. You just want to see me pissed off and go Pete Townshend on my guitars.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015