View post (how to work with a bassist)

View thread

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/12/2010 4:36 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboOr worse, he's going to be reluctant to jam with you anymore because you are getting frustrated that he won't learn what you learn. (Screw Rick, he's gettin' to be a drag, man! :D)[/quote] I've done good to not let my hesitation show. Nor am I really in a position to complain either. I've not really tired to take the time to teach him any basic theory.

Originally Posted by: RazboYou didn't really indicate, when you are doing your thing and he's doing his, if you are in key, or it sounds ok or sounds like crap or what.
Well, what he's playing sounds good, what I'm playing I think sounds good, they just don't sound good together. Totally different keys, timing, rythms. But... Nor am I easy to play along with either. I must admit that. My interest level in playing chords is very low, thus, I've spent very little time learning them. Sure, I know my open chrods, sure, I've played around with barr chords but by far, not profecient with either type of chord. Having said that, sure, I can play power chords. Those are very easy and in my opinion, are a a lazy persons chord even though... Yes, I know... They are the essence of rock. 90% of my interest is in melody, scales, rythmic riffs, constantly moving across and up and down the fretboard.

[QUOTE=Razbo]I might suggest not doing anything original. Instead focus only on jamming some songs written by others
GREAT suggestion. One crux. I have no interest in learning other bands music. Well... I might be interested in learning some Def Leppard and AC/DC. The reason being... I love Def Leppards style. Their rythms. Same with AC/DC. They have some very solid driving rythms.

If a band came out tomorrow that had Def Leppards rythms and tones, AC/DCs driving force behind their rythms, sprinkle in some George Lynch leads. I could die a happy man.

Actually... Now that I think about it. If Def Leppard would go back to their earlier days. High and Dry, Pyromania. That would make me rather happy as well.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015