View post (how to work with a bassist)

View thread

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/12/2010 4:44 am
Hey all..

My friend, who sort of talked me into picking up and learning how to play the guitar is a bassist. Or well sort of. He and I have gotten together a few times to try and see what we can come up with.

What we end up with is, me, doing my own thing, him doing his own thing. I try to talk theory with him, but it goes out the door as he knows no theory and does not really seem to have much interest in learning it. Thus, for example I say, ok this riff is in the key of C, I get the deer in the headlight glazed stare.

I know i can't be the only person who has had to deal with this, rather you're the bass player and your friend is the guitarist. Either way... How do you deal with this and do something productive?

At this point, I'm to the point where I'm ready to say... Ok, we are just going to march up and down the major scale. I suppose there is some good that can come up that like getting in synch, getting our timing down. Regardless...

Do I simply have to hold his hand and show him the major/minor scales on his bass? I've already purchased him a scale book over a year ago.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015