View post (lace in a fender strat)

View thread

guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
12/30/2009 7:36 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJeraits been a while since i was here but good to its still going strong.

i have been considering a pickup upgrade for my strat. right now i have a hot rails in the bridge and stocks in the mid and neck.

i was at a guitar store and i was listening to a guy playing an american standard with lace pickups through a delta blues amp (just like mine) and it sounded great.

so i guess my question is are they worth it, what are the pros/cons would something like texmex be a better fit for my mexican strat.

thanks jera

I have A 1996 Fender Strat Plus which came with the Lace Golds as standard from fender. At the time they were quiet single coils, but I have since put in the the Lace Hot Golds with the 13.k bridge pup(In essence it sounds like a humbucker in the size of a single coil). Its more versatile for me(hard rock). I like the sound but its all relative - The Lace Hot Golds don't keep that signature strat sound if that's what you are going for.

But as others have said, there are other things to be done(I added a capacitor). The RS upgrade kits are okay(I added one to my Les Paul) but its not going be a night and day difference(At least for me).
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002