View post (Define Your Own Success)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2010 9:31 pm
The responses keep getting better and better. I am so thankful people have taken the time to respond very thoughtfully (and honestly) on this matter. The idea of success differs from person to person, and quite honestly for me the direction I want to go and road I want to take my career down is always, always evolving.

The best advice I can give everyone in the simplest way possible is to always revert back to where you started. Think back to the very thing that made you start playing music in the first place and I feel you will always work your way back to that. I started playing guitar because I wanted to write music, and express whatever ideas I had running around in my head. Nearly 2 decades later, that is still very much the case as I feel I still approach music the same way. My life has changed, and while I have had a wealth of great experiences and met some amazing musicians and humans; the fact still remains my greatest joy comes from writing and creating music from the ground up.

The guitar has been my vehicle for that and I hope it serves all of you in the same way it has me. Best of luck and keep the responses coming!
:D
Douglas Showalter