View post (October Sweetwater Giveaway: Gretsch Corvette)

View thread

Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
10/01/2009 10:33 pm
by Neal Walter

Gretsch Electromatic Corvette

This is a hot rod of a guitar by a classic guitar company, Gretsch. Their guitars have always had a unique look, feel, and sound to them that make them stand out from other guitar companies and this little Corvette is no exception. I found it compact, lightweight, and easy to play. Plus, it comes in my favorite color, Burgundy.

This little rocker has a mahogany neck and body with a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. All chrome hardware and a double cutaway body style that makes for easy access to the high notes. Two Mega'Tron humbucker pickups, an anchored Adjusto-Matic bridge, Bigsby tremolo, two volume knobs, one tone knob, a 3 way switch, and vintage style tuners.

The pickup switch is kind of in the way of the tremolo arm but is consistent with the Corvette's original '60s design. The Corvette was originally designed as Gretsch's answer to the Gibson Les Paul Jr. and it has a body style that is similar to the Jr., SG, and Melody Maker guitars.

Gretsch guitars have been used by a lot of great players like Billy Gibbons, Bo Diddley & Brian Setzer to name a few. And if you're a Fall Out Boy fan, this solid body Corvette is very similar to the model that Patrick Stump used to record the band's latest album.

I love the classic chrome hardware. The Bigsby stayed in tune ok and works better as an accent tool then for a dive-bomb effect (as most Bigsby's do). It's got a bright, clear. and chimey tone.

Jimi Hendrix liked the sound enough to use a '67 Corvette on his sessions with Curtis Knight. From Beatles to Beach Boys, Rockabilly to your latest pop rock radio hit, in the words of one Corvette owner "it's just a good, simple, fun guitar".

This one can be yours courtesy of our friends at Sweetwater by subscribing to our monthly newsletter and reading the product review for the month. Sweetwater sponsors this giveaway and they are always a real pleasure to deal with. They give free shipping on all orders (even strings!) and have an outstanding staff of real musicians who can help you make the right purchase the first time.

Sweetwater provides the gear, we review it for the Guitar Tricks Newsletter, and we give it away to one lucky Guitar Tricks member. Just reply to this post to qualify to win, good luck!

Check out my demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy8e0BAcIxs

Official Gretsch website

Double your chances of winning this month. We're also giving away an Epiphone Les Paul to one Guitar Tricks Channel YouTube subscriber . All you have to do to enter is subscribe to our channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmUZO7K6c8 (same rules apply) -Good Luck!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/