View post (Getting into the Music Industry)

View thread

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/14/2002 11:15 pm
I have learnt to play lots of different music. I can pretty much do 'impressions' of any major guitarist. In sessions, that's why you're asked.
I enjoy most Jazz and blues, and pingerpicked acoustic.
I work around Marseille in France, and I teach music 20 hours a week to kids from kindergarten to 5th grade. I also teach guitar 5 hours every week to my more or less 10 students (depends on the period). I have just finished orchestrating and recording a Musical, that's going to be played before summer, I hope. I'm working actually with a kid's club to write their songs. (Kids songs about the jungle book).
I'm actually creating my company to help young musicians recording their demos to go and see the majors...

You can see that being a pro musician is not only about 'playing'. I do gigs when I'm asked to, and I go around to jam and keep some connection with the local scene. Everytime I get a paycheck, I am grateful that I have earned it thanks to the music I play or teach.

It is a very rewarding experience, and I am aware that very few musicians actually live ONLY thanks to music. That's why I take it very seriously. This book I told you about will maybe sound harsh and very "dreamless", but it was written by pros for future pros. You'll see what it takes to be a full-time musician, and you'll make your decision I hope, after that. Do not try being a pro if you think you'll be a star and win lots of money, and have girls, glory... It might be, but making just a 'career' in music is a possible way to go, if you are aware of what it takes.