Has everyone got the talent?

01/13/2002 6:31 pm

Just a quick suggestion.

My favorite Yngwie song to play is "I am a viking"

The main riff is really good and as a quick classical run which is challenging at first but it's a classic pattern of malmsteen.

The solo is really challenging but brake it apart and isolate the runs. Full of Classical stuff, I bet you'll recongnise the patterns.
# 1

01/13/2002 6:33 pm

I tell you paddybodenham, you are going to get teased with the hike thing.

But it's all fun, maybe it's our way of saying

Welcome to the community :)

# 2
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
01/13/2002 9:12 pm
Originally posted by Parrot Head 1970

Steve Vai and the boys were not made in a day, year, decade........

Not true in my opinion.
I know 2 guys, one of them plays 3 year and the second 7 years, and they both can shredd. they both can play at steve vai/ malmsteen / whatever you like speed without any problem, and the guy who plays 3 years can play even faster than the other guy. It all depends on many things, but i think that if you practice enough time every day the right things, it shouldnt take more than year and a half or two years to learn how to shredd..
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 3
paddybodenham
paddybodenham
01/14/2002 11:46 am
Ok ok. Eveyone can do some hiking if that's what floats their boats. Hiking's fun. Actually... it's MORE than fun. We can ALL go hiking together off into the blue wilderness. Jesus. I'm never going to live this down am I. Ha ha. Still - I'm glad to see I've perhaps been accepted. :D

So - I do believe we've come to a few decisions/tips:

1.) Practise - need to focus more on repetition of weak points, but vary it sufficiently as not to get bored.

2.) Yngwie Malmsteen = good to gain speed.

3.) String Widths?

4.) Hiking's fun...

Guys - I really want to learn a bit more about theory... especially the modes, and all the modal scales, like Mixylodian and Trochian and all that bunch. Does anyone know where I can find them tabbed, and also find some advice about how to use them?!

Cheers everyone.

Oh - by the way - I'll allow you to call me Paddy. Just this once. ;)
# 4
crazyguy
crazyguy
01/14/2002 2:18 pm
A friendly warning:
I know quite a few guys that do shredding (including myself, but to a lesser extent), but the "best" of them usually cause the audience to leave when they take off. The reason for this is, in my knowledge, that they play nonsense. What you're playing is a bit more important than how fast it is played, if it's music you strive to create.
Modes are derived from major scale: depending on the tone you start from (and end with), you get a different mode. Play them over the chords (for example, C dorian over C minor7 chord...) and you'll find them inducing different moods (which is how I reffer to them).
Get instructions, because guitar is a bag of tricks, which are easier (and faster) to comprehend if you are shown than by figuring it out on your own.
BTW, does anyone know an adress where I could find a good, accurate transcription of Malmsteen's "I am a Hiking"?
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 5
paddybodenham
paddybodenham
01/14/2002 3:07 pm
Yep. I know exactly what you mean. There's a difference between tonal shredding and abstract shredding. It's a bit like the difference between true Jazz, and Blues.

I wouldn't want to play fast if it sounded crap. You know what I mean. But Joe Satriani - I think that's mostly tonal isnt it?

Pads.
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/14/2002 4:31 pm
Originally posted by paddybodenham
I wouldn't want to play fast if it sounded crap.

"I play as fast as I can,
now I'm the gingerbread man
with a fast hand won't you kick me out of your band?
I only play for me Yo I'm the king of unity
I'm a team of one, a defective hired gun

I play like a ham that's what makes me spam,
and then I wonder why nobody ever wants to jam
I've got no feel I've got no emotions, my riffs aren't real
I just go through the motions, I'm full of tricks and trickets that I always use
I ain't got much choice... I can't play the blues"
Ron Thal (Hermit)
http://www.ronthal.com
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.