View post (Neck adjustment)

View thread

guitarra07
guitarra07
08/06/2009 10:26 pm
I hav spent tonight setting this guitar up, im so pleased with how its turned out and how it is playing now. it would not of being possible without some of this advise.

I loosend the steel plate screws, prised the neck from the body just enough to slide in some 5mm hardboard in screwed it back down and tested it. The height was good after sum messing about. This is when i found out that i did need sum slight neck angle. I removed the neck from body leaving the strings on, and made a plate from the hard board to fit exact, with holes for the screws. For the neck angle i used a zip/cable tie which is about 1mm or so, screwed it back up and tuned it. I had fret buzz so had to raise the bride up which is good.

I thought i would check the truss rod allen key as the neck was slightly out, when i removed the plate the allen bolt was totaly loose and rattleing! always wondered what the noise was! needed a fair few turns to get it straight.

It really is great now, thanks again for the advice, the only problem i hav now is one of the screws wont tighten down good, so may take it out fill hole with glue and screw back in?

|I need to upgrade guitars soon as this guitar does not have the tune o matic bridge so i cant tune the 12th fret to open string, was thinking of fitting one but am just gonna buy epiphone when i got spare cash.

David...