View post (New pot)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/15/2009 6:31 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerMy jackson is a basswood, in it I'm running a ToneZone. Seems lifeless and dark, i'm going to try a 1 meg pot in it to see if it brightens it up.

I have a Tone Zone in the bridge position of a Yamaha SBG-1000. I've gotta say that "lifeless and dark" is not even close to how I would describe it. You can search these forums for a discussion I had with PonyOne about this pickup. I use a 500 k pot with mine; he uses a 1 Meg pot. If memory serves, I said that there was "nowhere to hide" with the Tone Zone. It is very clear, and very responsive to attack dynamics. A very expressive pup that will bring out subtleties in your technique. Which also means that any mistakes get presented front and centre as well. Hence my assessment that there's nowhere to hide.

Check your installation carefully. A 500 k or 1 Meg pot for Volume, and a 1 Meg pot for the Tone control should let it scream. I don't recall hearing that basswood is dark sounding at all. I suspect the control wiring is loading down your pickup, either with too low a pot value, or a partial short in the wiring somewhere.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons