View post (Refining my sound...)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/03/2009 1:14 am
I just watched that too. Good stuff from Don. Very good stuff.

Only thing I would add is to start from zero with everything. I chunk a muted 'E' and get a slightly distorted sound. If I have desired pedal in the chain, I use only that. I mean, that's why I got it. I don't fully go all overdrive when I get add it. Just some to start. I really look for tone EQ first. So, I then start working up the amp tone with the Bass first, Treble second then Mid last. until I feel in range. I tweak little bits in the tone. Then I start dialing in more overdrive until I get the chunk I want.

Even though all of this is done on an 'E' chunk, the last upping of the overdrive throws in some open G, root A and D to get the range of dynamics with all chords. I also then start noodling some lead. I've learned that what sounds good in rhythm can sometimes translate to annoying on leads. most of the time, no. Still, gotta hear it.

So, I really built from scratch.

I would never be accused of being a theory monster but I was a tonemonkey extraordinaire. The store I hung out at (read: annoyed) put me to use as a new amp tone tester. They had a testing room and a new amp would come in and they'd always bait me with testing the new stuff (of course, I'd comply...). Still, I did get good tone and could put and amp through the paces. This is why I have a 'technique' for dialing in tone. Lots of amps to try to get a good sound from...ahhhh, I miss those days.