View post (New Guitar Purchase - Ibanez RG-350EX)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/09/2009 10:32 pm
Originally Posted by: GvinYou have to tune your new guitar too often because your strings are also new.
Be patient - and after a week (or maybe more) strings will get in their usual condition and you will tune your beautiful guitar more rarely :)

Good luck!

An old guitar tech/roadie trick that I got from, well, A tech...when you have new strings, give them some tugs (pull them away from the neck). Obviously be careful not to pull the string so much as to break it. However, by giving them some tugs, you are doing what tension will do over a longer period of time. Gotta make sure the guitar is well set up and you don't have any burrs on the saddles/nut. After that; tune, tug, tune, tug etc. I usually did this about three times when I replaced strings. Remember that pro bands on the road don't have days or hours to wait for strings to find their slack. It's tricks like these that keep guitars in tune with new strings. I'm sure this is not nearly the only technique but I found it useful.

BTW...I'd read about boiling strings and it's bunk mostly. I found all you get is really warm strings and another pot to wash.