View post (Alvin Lee and Ten Years After)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/17/2009 1:37 pm
Originally Posted by: ChicagoGozerTen Years After was a band I stumbled on to rather accidentally. When I was a teenager I had rented a copy of Woodstock (a Betamax copy which rather dates me...doesn't it). I was interested in seeing the performances of Jimi, The Who, Joe Cocker, the typical stuff I knew of about Woodstock...but then, while watching the tape, this band came on and played "I'm Going Home". I was blown away. When the stage announcer said at the end of their performance "Ten Years After" I knew I had to find out who these guys were. I became an instant fan and have followed Alvin Lee to this day.

If you want to know the essential TYA pick up Cricketwood Green and A Space in Time. Both outstanding rock albums, even today.

He is one of the best guitarists I've heard and really has not received the recognition he deserves.

I agree - Cricketwood Green and A Space in Time are amazing records and the band really did not have the career they should have had. I can still sit and listen to 'I'm Coming Home' from the Woodstock disc and be blown away. Amazing guitarist.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]