View post (Noise when I pick or pluck)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
07/07/2004 6:44 pm
I've noticed that over time my pick noise has been greatly reduced except when I'm playing really fast (which isn't often except when practicing). Just getting better at picking has helped. Rather than striking the string with the pick, you can kind of set the pick onto the string, then push the pick through the string, so that the note rings without the harsh pick attack. This sounds like a huge effort that would greatly slow down your playing, but it's really not as complicated as it sounds. Practice this for a while, and it becomes a subtlety in your normal playing, and voila, less noise.

Also, running through a good EQ with a good sound tech can drop out some of the more noise-like frequencies has a big effect, which is why "real musicians" (i.e. - one's with a lot of money) sound better tone-wise.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster