View post (This Month in Rock and Roll - April)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/03/2009 1:06 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60
... Although his theory was sound, somehow Metallica ended up looking like the bad guys in the fight ...

There is no mystery about this. The "somehow" you mention was due to the unfortunate worship of the Almighty Altruist moral code.

Other variations on this sickness that has infected civilization for thousands of years:

1. To give is better than receive.
(Translation: I don't feel like trading to mutual benefit, so I will hope someone takes pity on me and gives me what I need.)

2. Self-interest is evil.
(Translation: You better not admit that you have a personal interest in your life. Or that you could possibly earn yourself a happy life.)

3. Self-sacrifice is good.
(Translation: You should pretend that all you really care about is helping other people, especially at your expense.)

4. Making money is bad.
(Translation: You should feel bad about every dollar you earn that amounts to one dollar more than anyone else has. And you should pretend it is okay for them to expect you to give those extra dollars away. And more.)

Music is for the people.
(Translation: I don't feel like trading to mutual benefit, so I will just steal what I want.)

The fact that most musicians make a living by preaching this irrational moral code only makes them hypocrites. It only confuses the issue. But it doesn't change it or make it go away.

What civilization desperately needs is a proper moral code built on rational self-interest, built on the princple of the trader.

http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/traderprinciple.html
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory